We are pleased to announce Retail First’s annual Foodbank Campaign kicks off on Monday 2 October until Sunday 31 December. During this campaign, we encourage our customers to make donations in the form of non-perishable food. Each week (or once our cages are full) our friends from All Purpose Transport collect our donations and deliver them directly to Foodbank Qld. From there, the food is sorted and given directly to local charities and community groups where it is then distributed to those in need.
Foodbank is a non-denominational, non-profit organisation which acts as a pantry to the charities and community groups who feed the hungry. It was first established in 1992 in NSW and now has a presence in every state with distribution centres in all state capitals as well as a number of regional centres. Foodbank is by far, the largest hunger relief organisation in Australia and last year alone, they provided enough food for over 60 million meals.
HUNGER IN QUEENSLAND
Did you know:
- 400,000 Queenslanders (half of them being children) experience food insecurity each year
- 21,000 people are currently homeless in Queensland
- 580,825 Queensland live below the poverty line
- 10.9% of children live in poverty
- 1 in 4 pensioners live in or close to poverty
- 25% of households located in disadvantaged areas of Brisbane are food insecure
Statistics like these are the reason we are so passionate about this campaign, and are why we need your help!
HOW CAN I GET INVOLVED?
- On your next grocery shop, purchase an extra can of food, box of cereal, bag of rice or other non-perishable food
- Place your donation in the collection cage outside Coles or Woolworths.
- No donation is too big or small!
If your donation cannot fit in the collection cage or if you have other enquiries regarding the campaign, please phone Centre Management on 3349 3388.